MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

January 15, 2010

Lover's Knot Quilt (Cropping with the Stars)

This is made using Eleanor Burns Lover's knot technique which form an elegant pattern that intertwines to form a knot. This quilt uses four colors for the main blocks. I took poetic liberties adding a coordinating solid fabric for the appliquéd hearts using the gypsy and gypsy font that is pre-installed on the unit. I cut out hearts on the cricut expression to place an appliquéd heart on the darkest ‘knot’. Adding to the romance of the lover’s meeting, it is quilted in a meandering pattern just as we go together through life. The heart at the knot symbolizes for me the love that is shared and holds the lovers together as they meander through the struggles and joys of life.


Cartridges:  Gypsy Font

Supplies: 4 colors 100% cotton fabric to make up the lover’s knot block. 1 solid 100% cotton fabric to cut out the appliqué hearts, multi-colored thread for the quilting and invisible thread for stitching around the appliqué if desired. Steam-A-Seam 2, iron, ironing board, scissors, exacto knife and cutting matt. Quilting square to square up the blocks. Your choice of quilt batting to go between the pieced top and the solid back. Sewing machine, quilting machine and thread., brayer, new cricut cutting blades., painters tape, appliqué needles Cricut Expression, Cricut gypsy and Cartridges: Gypsy font

Instructions:

Using the Eleanor Burns Lover’s knot pattern which incorporates 2 – ½ inch strips, complete the blocks according to her publication instructions using machine sewing technique. The strips form an elegant pattern that intertwines to form a knot. This quilt uses four colors for the main blocks. I took poetic liberties adding a coordinating solid fabric for the appliquéd hearts using the gypsy and gypsy font that is pre-installed on the unit. I cut out hearts on the cricut expression to place an appliquéd heart on the darkest ‘knot’. Adding to the romance of the lover’s meeting, it is quilted in a meandering pattern just as we go together through life. The heart at the knot symbolizes for me the love that is shared and holds the lovers together as they meander through the struggles and joys of life. After assembling the quilt and quilting the layers together, I picked a coordinating solid fabric that is in the paisley fabric for the appliquéd heart. Using my gypsy I opened a 12x12 matt and selected a heart with a scroll in it that complimented the fabric design. It is in the Gypsy Font under the Monogram Shadow on the bottom row second to last key. I added it to the mat at 3.5” x 3.5” for width and height using the real size button. I copied it and had 6 on the page. Next, I took the sheet of Steam-A-Seam 2 removing one of the paper backing off and placing it on the wrong side of the solid fabric for the appliquéd hearts. I ironed this onto the fabric making sure to remove any bubbles. I took a new 12x12 matt and using my brayer rolled it securely to the cutting matt. I used blue painters tape and taped the edges of the fabric to the cutting matt. I set the cricut machine to blade setting 6, speed- medium and pressure – max. I loaded my mat using the gypsy and cut out 6 hearts. I repeated this process until all of my dark blue knots had an appliqué heart for the center. After cutting, I removed the hearts and ironed them to the quilt using the paper backing of the steam-a-seam 2 paper that was removed. I used scissors, exacto knife and cutting matt as needed. Then, you can use invisible thread and quilting needles and hand stitch around the appliqués if desired. This is not a required step but, finishes the project and is recommended before washing your quilt after normal use. This makes a great bedspread, quilt for cuddling on the couch or even picnics. You are only limited by your imagination. It is also great for curling up under while designing more projects with your gypsy whether at home or on the go. I hope you are inspired by my project.

You can see more entries here.

4 comments:

nikki said...

Wow - how beautiful!!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This is beautiful look at all the work in this! WOW. You should be proud of yourself!

Helen said...

I had to come back and take a look at your quilt. It is very pretty. One of the sewing hobbies that I didn't take up. Great Job!

Kingston's Kreations said...

This is beautiful! Great job and thanks for sharing it with me! :)

Post a Comment