MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

July 6, 2011

Blast off!

Hello everyone! Tina Gale here back with another layout for sweet sassy diva design team. This time our challenge was a Fourth of July stars theme. I usually don't like to make my layouts before I have the pictures but because of how busy I've been lately with my husbands chemo treatments I decided to get a quick page together for photos that I'm hoping to receive of my son doing the fireworks for the kids camp that he and my daughter work at. I know I'm not the only one that gets things thrown at them that can put a halt on their creative time so I decided to share how you can put together a really quick layout that still has a wow factor.
I decided I'd try and walk you through my thought process when I design a layout and hopefully it will help some of you. Like I said before I never scrap before I have photos because it never works out for me. My photos are never the right size or their the wrong direction for my mats. I also get inspired by my photos so that is where I usually begin. Obviously that's not the case this time but I did start with what I know I want my photo to be of. My children work at a kids summer camp and my son works the activities. One of his biggest thrills of the summer is getting to set off the big fireworks for them on the 4th so I immediately thought of the great silhouettes on A Child's Year. This little boy riding the rocket was perfect! It reminded me of my son and the thrill he gets doing the firework show so that was where I started.
Next I went in search of paper. I had several different patriotic looking papers but this star background was perfect for my quick layout. Sometimes it's very difficult working with patterned paper that has a finished layout look to it. It can look very flat and uninteresting as well as scare some people to cover certain elements on the background up. The key  is not to be afraid of it but use it to it's full advantage. This paper with the glittery stars and fireworks at the bottom left corner was a perfect backdrop for my layout. It brought a lot of interest to the layout without doing anything else but to really give it the 'wow' factor you don't want to stop there and with your cricut it's easy to step it up a notch.


The next element is always a great title and you don't want to forget to leave a place to journal. I chose a great title from Graphically Speaking cut with red and gray for an extra punch.
For the journalling I decided to use some white cardstock cut in 1/2" widths at various lengths to jot down some quick thoughts. It adds some great design interest to a quick layout.

The next element are your photo mats. I chose this wonderful red with silver star paper cut at 4x6 for my photos and then tied some red, white, and blue bakers twine around it for added dimension and design.
Then to tie everything together and help pull the design in I cut stars out in various sizes from 3/4" - 1 1/4" from Graphically speaking and scattered them around the layout.
I also used my bakers twine again to tie around a couple of the stars for some extra 'wow'.
Recipe for Stars for the Fourth
Paper - American collection from the $1 spot at Target
Airmail Bakers Twine - available here
Cricut Cuts:
Fourth of July 1 1/2" - Graphically Speaking - p. 43 
Stars 3/4" - 1 1/4" - Graphically Speaking - p. 43
Boy on rocket 3 1/2" - A Child's Year p. 46


I hope you enjoyed my layout and find my tips helpful the next time you want to create a quick layout. Be sure to visit me at my blog for more great projects! 


Hugz

Be sure to check the daily deals at Group On! You can save a lot of money and get local deals! 

Groupon negotiates huge discounts—usually 50-90% off—with popular businesses. We send the deals to thousands of subscribers in our free daily email, and we send the businesses a ton of new customers. That's the Groupon magic.

Be sure to Click Here! For more information and join today!  It does not cost anything to join and why not save on Group On!

Also, want to save money with grocery shopping? Passionate Penny Pincher helps find deals and steals! Go like their fb page and tell them sweetsassydiva sent you today! Click here!  OR you can search "passionate penny pincher" on facebook. 

4 comments:

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Great layout Tina and also great tips. Love all the stars and the boy on the rocket.

Kim Ricketts said...

Beautiful Layout! I love the patterned paper you chose and the twine on the mats and stars. Too cute!

~Kim

L.B. said...

What a fun layout. That image on top (boy on rocket) is so great!

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Great job on the layout Tina. I love your paper choices and love the twine. How cute is the little guy on the rocket. -

Post a Comment